Monday, July 2, 2012

French Bread

Today, I gave my first try at a french bread recipe I found on the back of the Pillsbury bread flour bag.  It was actually surprisingly easy and my family loved it!  I love that it turned out pretty too.  It seems that even if my dishes taste good, they don't always look the greatest. 

This recipe called for 3 cups of bread flour, 2 tsp of sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, a packet of yeast.  Next you add 1 cup of warm water and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.  You mix the ingredients together until well blended, then knead on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes.  Put in a lightly greased covered bowl for 40 minutes.  Punch the dough down and let sit on counter for 20 more minutes.  Sprinkle some cornmeal on ungreased cookie sheet.  Shape dough into french roll on cookie sheet, cover and let rest for 15 minutes until double in size.  Slice down middle with a sharp knife.  Brush egg white on top and cook at 325 degrees until brown on top and sounds hollow when you tap it.  Mine didn't turn out to look like a real French loaf, but I still think it turned out great.



I decided to make it because my husband was wanting some baked potato soup tonight.  I have no idea why since it's 100 degrees outside in Alabama, but I made it anyway :)


3 comments:

  1. Way to go! It looks very good. We will have soup year round around here.

    Have a wonderful day with your family.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. We eat soup all year too. That bread looks dee-lish! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum! We love baked potato soup, and your bread turned out great!

    ReplyDelete