Thursday, September 29, 2011

I Already Heart Compost

So out of everything I have read, it seems like everyone does compost.  I started a little compost in my backyard this summer.  I started one in a 5-gallon bucket with a lid and holes poked in it and one on our back fence line.  The one in the bucket did not work out so great, but I have still been using the other one.  It is not enclosed, just a pile right by the fence and I have already used dirt out of it, so it is already saving me some money (LOVE).  Plus, this is the best stuff you can use for your plants.  I have mainly put dead leaves, all of my weeds (sweet revenge muahaha) and sometimes fruit/veggie peelings.  BUT, the main thing that has enriched this compost I believe has to be the coffee grounds my sweet Grandma faithfully sends me every week.  I am not sure this compost would be as awesome without all those coffee grounds.  Thanks Grandma!



I have tried not to put so much produce scraps in this pile because I don't want stray dogs messing it up and I also worry about mice.  We have enough mice to worry about being right beside woods and having a pasture in our backyard.  I am hoping my husband will build me a compost bin or two soon so I can start adding more of my kitchen scraps without the pest worry.  I really can't wait to get my compost built up and cover all of my beds with it and hopefully even be able to give some away.  My youngest daughter already loves helping me pull weeds to put in the compost pile.  She has already seen how it is turning into dirt and I am loving the time I get to spend with her outside, so it is a win/win :)

No comments:

Post a Comment