Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Tomato Cage Alternatives

My tomatoes have gotten to the point where they need a little support.  My husband pulled out the dreaded tomato cages. We have used them several times and they are just so awful this year, it is laughable! Take a look for yourselves:


You might not be able to see it that good but we had to bend and twist to get them in and they still look awful. 

I have a couple Roma tomato plants that might need some help down the road and we decided to put some of our abundance of bamboo to use.  I used this another year when we had lots of big bamboo shoots and it worked really well for all of our tomatoes.  And I love it because it is so much more natural looking and you can throw them in the compost when you are done :).


I've looked up other things to use for holding your tomatoes up and have seen all kinds of things from hanging string down holding them up, wooden teepees and lots more.  If you don't have something you think you need for gardening, it is worth looking up other ideas because you might find you already have the supplies you need :)

No comments:

Post a Comment