Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Basil On My Brain

Ya'll, my kids are back to school, husband is back to work after a little beach vacation and I have the house to myself! That means I have time to do a little blogging.  I've been trying to think of what to blog about.  I walked around the back this morning and found my basil plants have doubled or tripled in size in just one week!


Last week these plants looked like a few twigs with leaves on them.  I pruned them like I've read about.  I put them outside and it's rained lots this past week, but we've also had a lot of sunshine.  They have grown so much in a week, it has just blown my mind away. 



It makes me really happy because basil has been the only herb I have been able to grow this year and even it was not doing that great.  I don't know what my problem is with the herbs, although I have a feeling I might pay a little too much attention to them, possibly??  This might be a prime example.  I leave this plant alone for a week and it flourishes!



So if any of you have doubted pruning your basil, don't doubt it, just do it because it works.  Right now I am drying what I pulled off in the oven.  I will post more on that tomorrow.

What do you like to do with basil besides pasta sauce?  My neighbor wrapped her shrimp in some I gave her and grilled it, that sounds wonderful.  Looking for more ideas!

Everyone have a great week :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Kelly, your basil is so pretty! I want to try to grow more herbs next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on growing some gorgeous basil!
    Mostly, herbs do well with neglect. Do you make your own pesto and freeze it in ice cube trays? It's great to add to sauces, soups and stews.
    Enjoy your harvest!

    ReplyDelete