Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Country Sausage and Cheese Biscuits


I hope all of you are staying nice and toasty wherever you are!  We have gone from wearing shorts last week to bundling up and not being able to get our bones warmed down here in South Alabama!  We only have a couple gas heaters, so we use lots of blankets and layers around here :)  We have a big old house, so we have to shut half of it off in the winter time to try to keep the heat in and that makes me so depressed.  I am very thankful to have a warm place to lay my head at night though and to have the ones I love with me.

So, with all this cold weather, we are cooking more, especially warm, rib sticking recipes.  This one we kind of came up with on our own.  I made the cat-head biscuits recipe out of the Loretta Lynn cookbook a few times and after visiting a breakfast place around my mother in laws (I want to say it was called the Biscuit King??) we decided to try adding sausage and shredded cheese to these biscuits and they are awesome (although maybe not the best nutrition wise :)

First we start with the biscuit recipe.  You can use this recipe just to make regular cut out or drop biscuits. 

2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup shortening
3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix flour and shortening together.  Add buttermilk.  Stir until dough leaves sides of the bowl. 

Now here we brown half a pound of sausage.  Drain the sausage and add to the biscuit mixture.  Add some shredded cheese and mix some more.  Drop by the spoonfuls onto cookie sheet and bake until sides start to turn golden brown.  Be careful not to burn the bottoms!

Enjoy and stay warm :)

This post is linked to the Frugally Sustainable Blog Hop.


1 comment: