Wednesday, May 30, 2012

New Goal Lists

I read a blog post recently here http://www.highdesertchronicles.com/homesteading/ that had a wonderful goal list included.  Now I know I have made lists, a few on this blog even, but they have all been rather generic such as I want chickens, want to grow more veggies, work on my compost.  But once you really start and get into the thick of things, you start to gain a better understanding of the specific things you need to do to get what you want.  So here are my lists.

Goals for 2012:
Get chickens-Done!
Finish chicken coop
Start getting eggs from chickens (hopefully in August)
Grow okra, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, green beans, garlic, jalapenos, banana peppers and green peppers, lettuce, spinach and turnip greens and put lots up so I don't have to buy any this year
Have a clothes line
Start an herb garden with basic herbs-basil, oregano, parsley, dill, chives
Work hard on compost so I can have plenty to use instead of potting soil next year
Plant some fruit trees (apple, peach, pear)
Plant blueberries and raspberries to have next year (raspberries planted)
Make our own laundry detergent
Start making bread, rolls, crusts from scratch
Learn how to make our own pasta and tortillas (heard there were great youtube videos for this)

Other eventual goals:
Honey bees!
Buy only heirloom seeds, start all plants from seeds and save the seeds
Learn to knit clothing
Stop using paper towels and napkins, use cloth
Have a healing herb garden with a few herbs that can be used for soothing, healing
Have producing fruit trees and bushes to make own preserves and pie filling and eat fresh (apple, peach, pear, blueberry, raspberry)
Have 2 compost bins built
Have a couple rain barrels for watering
Have a complete herb garden complete with herbs required for salsa, sauces, dressings
Grow majority of fruits/vegetables we eat on our property (need to add onions, garlic, potatoes, corn, strawberries, butter beans, black eye peas, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, artichokes, etc.)
Build a fence around our jungle acre (acre we can hardly walk through it's so thick) and buy some goats to help us clear that out
Have a milking cow and a place for them to graze
Make our own soap and candles
Make our own cleaners, shampoo and conditioner
Make our own mustards, dressings, salsas and sauces
Learn how to sew and make some of our clothes
Buy locally raised beef to put in our freezer-I don't think I can do this with the chickens or a cow that we have raised-not there yet!

Do you have a goal list? What are some of your goals?

3 comments:

  1. You are SO ambitious! Best wishes on meeting all of your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to do a post on "sustainable" hair care products in the next week!! :-)

    I've been following your blog for a little while and I really like it! I can't wait until we get more land so we can do more, but until then, we will work on our little .3 acre! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I know it sounds like a lot, but I know it will take many years to do, just wanted a list to look back on so I can see what I need to work with.

    ReplyDelete